Staying safe is every person’s top priority right now. But not every business can afford to slow or shut down in the face of COVID-19. Even as you formulate a continuity and contingency plan for your organization, here are some processes you can use to ensure employee welfare and safety.
1. Thanks to technology, quite a few roles can be ported into homes during lockdown, and work can continue. Identify these and minimize footfall in the office.
2. Reach out to your insurance provider so COVID-19 coverage within employee insurance can be activated with minimum fuss for people who need it. The IRDAI has already asked insurance companies to expedite the handling of COVID-19 cases and to devise policy options for treatment of affected people.
3. While you may not need to revisit your leave policies at this point, ensure sick leave is flexible and in line with public health recommendations.
4. Implement more stringent housekeeping protocols, such as deep cleaning the office at an increased frequency and ensuring frequent wipe-downs of common areas.
5. Add a crisis hotline for all employees and a coronavirus info/FAQ page on the intranet. You can update this with the latest information from the World Health Organization and the Indian Ministry of Health & Family Welfare. You can also circulate this ready list of COVID-19 prevention guidelines based on WHO recommendations among your people.
6. Set up a dedicated task force or team to tackle various aspects of the crisis. You could also rope in your health & wellness partner for help with:
- Helplines for employees who are worried about symptoms or need guidance.
- Clinical support for employees who need to get tested for COVID-19 or need doctor consultations.
- Support for quarantined or hospitalized employees and their families.
- Formulating a plan of action to contain possible exposure within your workplace without stigma or discrimination.
- Mental health and long-term clinical support for individuals with COVID-19.
There’s no predicting where COVID-19 is headed right now, but with a bit of pre-emptive planning, you can bring your people a much-needed dose of protection, sanity, and calm. Stay safe, folks, and see you on the other side – soon!